Friday, November 12, 2010

Autumn Crocus

If you don't have this crocus in your garden, then really think about planting some. The bulbs are hard to find and yes, they are expensive, but I think worth the expenditure. You may have to go on line and order.

Autumn Crocus - Colchicum Autumnale flowers in late September or early October. This crocus contains unstable alkaloid poisons. If enough flowers, seeds, corms or leaves are eaten, death may result. All animals are susceptible to colchicine, the primary toxins. You will also find that Tulips and Daffodils can also cause problems if eaten.
The name "naked lady'"comes from the fact that the flowers emerge from the ground long after the leaves die back. In spring, a clump of broad, deer-proof leaves emerge, stay green for over a month and then die back.
I plant the bulbs in front of shrubs and among perennials. With proper fertilizing and well drained soil that doesn't dry out in the summer, these bulbs will multiply double by next season.
Crocus Sativus - Saffron Crocus is the source of saffron. The quintessential seasoning for paella and other dishes from the Mediterranean and Asia. Each flower produces three showy red stigmas, which have been used for flavoring and coloring food since Roman times.
I only have the Giant Colchicum in pink in my garden, but I have the lavender ones ordered and hopefully will add them to my flower beds in a week or so. The picture shown above is of bulbs that I planted three years ago and are now ready to divide when they have finished blooming.

1 comment:

Ron Mylar said...

I really praise this. As this is a beautiful post with beautiful pots and plants. This pot looks very nice. As I like to gather them in my house.